I think of ground turkey as the perfect canvas — the turkey from U.S. Wellness Meats is especially flavorful and works well with whatever vegetables I need to make (before they start going bad). Turkey also works well with a variety of spice and flavor combinations, so you can mix and match so that it never gets boring.
Some of my favorite spices to combine are toasted fennel seeds and rosemary – they add enough flavor without being overwhelming. Here, I paired those spices with fresh garlic and lemon zest for a hint of acid.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 1 lb ground turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp toasted fennel seeds
- 2 sprigs rosemary, minced
- zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 2 c mixed mushrooms
- 3/4 c leeks, sliced
- 1/2 c mixed bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 avocado
- cilantro to garnish
(1) Brown the turkey with the salt, pepper, garlic, fennel, rosemary, and lemon zest, about 10 minutes.
(2) Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
(3) Add the bell pepper and jalapeno and cook for 5 more minutes.
(4) Serve topped with cilantro and sliced avocado. (I topped mine with extra lemon zest as well).