I’m catching up on workouts that I haven’t posted — beginning with my last workout in Texas, done a few hours before leaving for the airport in my parent’s backyard.
When I’m traveling, I am usually lucky enough to have access to a gym. But, when I am short on time or can’t make it to the gym, I make sure to have a jump rope and resistance bands in my bag so I can still workout. I use these (which offer heavier resistance) as well as a lateral resistor set by SKLZ, which provides some resistance while still allowing for a wide range of motion:
My bodyweight workouts throughout my 2 weeks home were all pretty similar (and took about 30-45 min depending on what variations I included) and went something like this:
5 rounds of:
(1) 250 “jumps” with a jump rope
(2) 50 jump squats on a step with lateral resistor bands
(3) 25 lunges/leg with lateral resistors (you can add a kickback at the end for an extra challenge)
(4) 25/leg side lunges with lateral resistors:
(5) 25 Planks with Leg In-and-outs (with lateral resistor): Okay, this is admittedly the worst name for an exercise ever. 🙂 But the idea is inherent in the description. Hold a plank with your arms on a step (or the floor). Start with your feet together. Hop your feet out about 2 feet apart from each other, where you can feel some resistance on the bands. Return back to the start position.
(6) 25/leg lateral step backs with SPRI resistance band: Start with your knees slightly bent. Step back with your left foot about 2 feet behind you and a foot to the left. Return to the start position, and step back with your right foot, about 2 feet behind you and a foot to the right. Repeat for 25 reps/side.
(7) 25/leg side steps with squat (with SPRI resistance band): Start with your knees slightly bent. Step your left foot about 1-2 feet to the left, drop into a squat, and return to the start position. Repeat on the right side.
(8) 20 Clapping Pushups: Drop into a regular pushup, and explosively lift off the floor and clap your hands together in between reps.