Glute-focused Leg Workout: Yesterday, I did the final leg variation of the star complex – the glute-focused set of moves. I started with a 5 min warmup @ 4.0-6.0 mph, 6 sets of sprints of varying lengths – 20 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec – @ 11.5mph and 3.0 incline, and a 5 minute cool down. After some quick foam rolling and dynamic stretches, we moved on to the lift.
Start with the Star Complex for Leg Press/Squats (Note: this is not the official version from the website, but involves my own 5 variations). Complete all 5 variations in a row, with no rest between exercises. When you finish the 5th move – jumping box squats – rest for 1-2 minutes before beginning the whole complex again. Repeat the complex 5 times.
(1) Wide Stance Leg Press – 3-5 reps @ 320lbs: Start with your feet wider than hip distance apart. Lower your thighs toward your chest and press back up without locking out your knees. Repeat for 3-5 reps depending on how heavy the weight you’ve selected feels. I went with 4 reps.
(2) Regular Stance Leg Press – 5-6 reps @ 270lbs: Start with your feet about hip width apart. Lower your thighs toward your chest and press back up without locking out your knees. Repeat for 5-6 reps depending on how heavy the weight you’ve selected feels. I went with 6 reps.
(3) Goblet Plie Squats – 6-8 reps @ 24kg: Hold a kettlebell in both hands near your middle chest, with your elbows pointed down near your waist. With legs about 3-4 feet apart and toes pointed out, squat down until your thighs are parallel with the floor, hold for 1 sec, and propel yourself up. Repeat for 6-8 reps (I did 8 reps).
(4) Bottom Plie Squat Pulses – 10-12 reps @ 24kg: Drop the kettlebell and hold with your arms extended down. Immediately drop down into the lower half of the squat and pulse up and down for 10-12 reps (I did 12). At the top of each rep, you should be about 2-3 inches above parallel (pictured below).
(5) Jumping Squats with Box (bodyweight): Finish with 20 “jumping squats” – made more difficult by jumping up onto the 24″ box, squatting all the way down and then jumping down into a squat on the floor. Repeat for 20 total reps (10 on the box, 10 on the floor).
Before moving onto lunges, do 100 plie reps with a 10 lb weight – 20 full range, 20 pulses, 10 full range, 10 pulses, 20 full range, 20 pulses.
Lunge Star Complex. Complete all 5 variations of the lunge in a row, with no rest between exercises. When you finish the 5th move – jumping lunges – rest for 1-2 minutes before beginning the whole complex again. Repeat the complex 5 times.
(1) Barbell Reverse Lunges – 3-5 reps/leg @ 115 lbs: With the barbell across the top of your back, step back 2-3 feet and lower your back knee until it almost touches the floor. Repeat for 3-5 reps on the right leg, then switch sides and repeat for the same number of reps on the left leg. I went with 3 reps.
(2) Dumbbell Forward Lunges – 5-6 reps/leg @ 80 lbs: Holding a 40 lb dumbbell in each hand, step forward 2-3 feet and bend the stepping leg until your thigh is parallel with the floor. Make sure your front knee is in line with your front ankle, rather than in front of the ankle over the foot. Alternate legs and repeat until you have completed 5-6 reps/leg (I did 6 reps).
(3) Kettlebell Curtsy Lunges with kick out– 8 reps/leg @ 24kg: Hold a kettlebell in both hands near your middle chest, with your elbows pointed down near your waist. Take a diagonal step back with your right foot behind the left knee, until your right foot is about 1.5-2 feet to the left of your left leg. Lower down until your right knee nearly touches the floor. Lift up and kick out with your right leg to the right. Repeat on the other leg. Repeat for 8 reps/leg.
(4) Walking Lunges – 12 reps/leg @ 50 lbs: Holding a 25 lb plate in each hand, walk forward and drop into a forward lunge. Switch legs and repeat for 12 reps/leg.
(5) Jumping Lunges – 12 reps/leg @ bodyweight: Drop into a lunge, jump up as high and as fast as possible and drop into a lunge on the opposite leg. Repeat for 12 reps/leg.
Finish with 100 lunges reps with a 10 lb weight – 24 (12/leg) forward, 24 (12/leg reverse), 26 side (left), 26 side (right.)
Finally, end the workout with 3X20 (10/leg) butt blasters @ 90lbs.