Today’s meals were again pretty simple and delicious:
Breakfast: (broken record) 3 oz. pastured pork, 1 clove garlic, 2 cage free eggs, 1/4 c scallions, lacto-fermented jalapenos (homemade), and 1/6 avocado. Bulletproof Numi tea on the side.
Lunch: 4 oz chicken + 2 oz extra lean ground turkey breast with tomatillo salsa, wrapped in cabbage leaves. Recipe below.
Dinner: Organic Chicken Cobb Salad, hold the cheese and vinaigrette, and English Breakfast tea from Le Pain Quotidien.
Chicken with Tomatillo Salsa
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- 8 tomatillos
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeno (can reduce to half)
- 1/2 serrano pepper (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 sprigs cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 2 oz extra lean ground turkey
- 1/2 T duck fat
- 1/4 -1/3 c onion slices
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- cabbage leaves (optional)
(1) Cover 8 tomatillos, 1/2 yellow onion, 1 poblano pepper, 1 jalapeno (less if you like more mild flavors), and 1/2 serrano pepper (omit if you like more mild flavors) with water. Boil for 10 min. Once the vegetables are soft, drain the water, add 2 cloves garlic, 3-4 sprigs cilantro, and a 1/4 tsp salt and puree (easiest with a hand blender).
(2) Slice the chicken breast into small cubes, and form small chunks out of the turkey. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
(3) Saute the meat in 1/2 T duck fat. When it is browned on one side, stir and add 1/4-1/3 c sliced onions (depending on your flavor preference).
(4) Add 1/3 c of the salsa (you will have plenty leftover), 1 tsp cumin, and 2 cloves garlic. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
(5) Serve as is, or wrapped in cabbage leaves, sprinkled with a bit of Himalayan pink rock salt.