One of my favorite recipes from my Mom is simple roast beef – hers is always delicious, and it requires very little time/effort.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Time: 60 minutes
- 1 rump roast (we used a small-ish “natural” no antibiotic/hormone roast from Sprouts and it was amazingly tender and delicious)
- 1/2 T each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp each toasted garlic and toasted onion powders
- 1 c water
(1) Bring the roast to room temperature and pat dry.
(2) Preheat the oven to 350. Season the roast liberally and then pour water into the bottom of the pan. Let the spiced roast sit while the oven is preheating.
(3) Cook at 350 until a meat thermometer reads 145 degrees for medium rare (about 50 minutes) or 160 for medium (about one hour) — and that’s it! Let it sit covered in foil for 5-10 minutes before slicing for a tender, juicier roast.
We served ours with salad, mashed cauliflower topped with chives, and simple sauteed green beans/summer squash.