Yet another super-delayed post from Texas (so delayed in fact that I’m already back!):
One of my favorite meals when I am cooking for more than just one is a whole roasted chicken. Not only does it make a great, relatively easy dinner, but you can use the leftover chicken for tacos, for soup, or for thai chicken salad.
Prep Time: 15-20 min
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- 1 whole chicken + 3 chicken breasts
- 2 T melted Kerrygold butter or macadamia nut oil
- 2 T salt
- 1 T pepper
- 1 T paprika ( you can mix half-sharp, Hungarian, and/or smoked varieties for more flavor)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2-3 cloves garlic (depending on your love of garlic)
- 1 T onion powder
- 1/2 T dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp each thyme, celery seed, oregano
- 1 lime, halved
- parsley and additional garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 leek left whole (or onion, sliced into thick rings)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-2 inch pieces
- top of one large butternut squash, peeled
- 1/2 T Kerrygold butter
- salt, pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
(1) Mix together the melted butter or oil with the spices to form a paste. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Spread the spices all over the chicken, both over and under the skin. Stuff the cavity with lime, parsley, and additional garlic. (We do this step in the pan where the chicken will cook so that any “lost” spice mixture stays in the pan and gets on the vegetables that will be roasting.)
(2) Using kitchen twine, bring chicken legs forward, cross them, and tie together. Place the chicken on top of the leeks, then surround the chicken with the additional chicken breasts (seasoned with the same spice blend) and carrots.
(3) Let the chicken sit with the spices while your oven preheats to 425. Meanwhile, use the thicker blade on a spiralizer to make large, curly noodles out of the butternut squash.
(4) Cook the chicken for about 1.5 hours, or until a meat thermometer reads 180-190 degrees.
(5) When the chicken has about 20 more minutes of cook time, warm 1/2 T butter in a pan on medium-high heat. Add the squash noodles and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Cook for about 10 min, stirring occasionally, then add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
(6) Remove the chicken and cover with foil for about 15 minutes to preserve the juiciness. Enjoy!