Another brutal leg day, including the final squat pyramid before the program gets changed up:
- Pyramids of 10-10-10-8-8-6-8-8-10-10-10 reps of squats, pop squats on a box, and raised heel squats. I did bodyweight pop squats (focusing on how high I could jump) and kept the weight at 45lbs for all raised heel squats, but did 10 reps @ 45lbs, 65lbs, 95lbs, 8 reps @ 115lbs, 135 lbs, and 6 reps @155lbs for the back squats.
Squats: My sister gave me the advice to lift with my legs instead of glutes from deep squats, so that has been the focus the past few workouts. This requires focusing a bit more on distributing my weight throughout my entire foot. For the lighter squats, I go as far below parallel as possible without my knees moving in or out, but as the weight gets heavier, I hover closer to parallel (baby steps toward a deeper range of motion while still building strength!).
Pop Squats: I love plyo moves but the key is to land like a cat (not a cow) — in other words, as light as possible. Start in a squat with your feet on either side of the box, jump up as high as you can and land in a squat on the top of the box.
Raised Heel Squats: Stand on top of two plates and lower into a normal squat, holding the weight in front of you. I used a plate to mix things up, but this could easily be done with the bar instead.
- 5 rounds of 12 reps leg press @270lbs and 10 reps plie squats with raised heels @16kg.
Leg Press: We used a shoulder-width stance for these presses.
Plies: We used a kettlebell and held it like you would for a goblet squat. Stand in a wide stance with heels raised (as high as possible) and lower until your glutes are parallel with the floor.
- 5 rounds of 10 reverse lunges @ 16kg, 10 “Curtsy” lunges on the box, and 30 sec of toe taps on the box.
Reverse Lunges: Start standing on top of the box holding the kettlebell in front of your chest and step back about 2-3 feet behind the step. Lower your back knee, return to the start position, and repeat on the opposite leg.
Curtsy Lunges: Start standing on the step. Step back at a diagonal angle with your right foot toward your left side. Lower into a lunges and return to the start position. Repeat on the other side.
Toe taps: Stand behind the box and jump up with one foot onto the box. Jump up to switch to the other foot as fast as possible, and repeat for 30 sec.
- 5 rounds of 10Xleg reverse cable leg raises and 10Xleg side cable leg raises.
- 5 X 10 bridges @70lbs. Start with your back on the bench and your knees bent, with the bar over your hips. Raise your glutes until your legs are parallel to the floor and repeat.