My sister is definitely my favorite workout partner – we push each other to try new things and motivate each other to optimize form. (It helps that she is a personal trainer and focuses on fitness and nutrition full time.) While I was in Texas, my sister was awesome enough to get me into her gym and showed me a few new leg moves for glutes/hamstrings.
(1) Wide Leg Squats: 10 @45lbs, 65lbs, 95lbs; 8 @115lbs and 135lbs; and 6 @155lbs, then back up the ladder. Place your feet wider than hip distance and try to lower into a deeper squat.
(2) Leg-Press – sets of 10-12 with increasing weight – we started with 3 x 45lb plates per side and worked our way up to 4 plates. We added plies with raised toes into the sets – while one person pressed, the other squatted.
(3) Smith Machine Glute Kickbacks – 5 sets of 10/leg @155-175lbs. (We added Bulgarian split leg squats to the set – while one person did kickbacks, the other person did split squats and vise-versa).
Drop the bar down to one of the lower settings on the Smith Machine. Position yourself on all fours, with your knees about a foot in front on the bar. Place one foot on the bar and kick up and back. Lower to the starting position and repeat for 10-12 reps before switching sides.
(4) Smith Machine Lying Squats (5 sets of 12 @ 175lbs+) – Lay on your back and place both feet on the bar. Lower the weight until your knees come into your chest, and repeat.
(5) Jessica’s Glute/Outer Thigh Abduction Exercise – (3 sets of 10-12) Using the Hip Abduction Machine, grip the sides of the machine and raise yourself about 3 inches off of the seat. Push your thighs out and in.
(6) Weighted Calve Raises – Alternate with your partner for 10 sets of 10-12 raises. We did 5 sets with 45lbs and 5 sets with 55 lbs. Lesson of the workout: I do not do enough calve raises. My calves were burning!
(7) Walking Lunges – Holding 25 lb plates in each hand, perform walking lunges down a long hallway (about 40 lunges).